Business Watch is an offshoot of the Neighborhood Watch concept. The purpose of establishing a Business Watch Program is to help educate business proprietors about various precautions they can take in an effort to deter crime. The objective of the Business Watch program is to reduce crime in commercial areas through heightened awareness and direct communication between the Forsyth County Sheriff''s Office and local businesses.
Nationally, businesses are robbed ten times more often than individuals and businesses are victims of nighttime burglaries more than residential homes. (Source: Jefferson County Sheriff’s office web site)
Objective of the Business Watch Program:
The program’s objective is to educate business owners and there employees in an effort to deter crime by:
• Improving communication between businesses and the Forsyth County Sheriffs office.
• Educate and inform business owners and employees through the development of programs and presentations that will address current crime trends or concerns.
Training topics include, however are not be limited to:
• Safety in the work place
• Self Defense Classes
• General Crime Prevention
• Identity theft prevention
• Street gang awareness
• Work place Drug awareness
• Business Security Surveys
• Armed Robbery Prevention and Survival
• Check and Credit Card Fraud Prevention
• Shoplifting Prevention and awareness
Benefits for Business owners:
Business Watch will help build relationships between business owners, employees, and the Forsyth County Sheriffs Office. Relationships will be forged among businesses located near one another through better communication.
A Business Watch sticker will be displayed in shop windows. This sticker will signal customers as well as would-be criminals that the business is trained and active in preventing crime and creating a safe shopping environment for the customers.
Each Business Watch sticker will be assigned a tracking number, that number will be used by the Forsyth County Sheriffs Office as a quick reference allowing us the ability to contact the business owner/manager in case of an emergency at the business.
Crime prevention deputies will hold monthly meetings with loss prevention, store managers, and owners to share information and discuss local and national trends affecting business safety.
• Business Watch will provide a link between neighboring businesses.
• Business Watch will initiate interaction geared towards targeting problems and reaching solutions.
• Networking gives participating businesses a quick reference to contact neighboring businesses.
Please call Deputy First Class Kevin Ferraro, Forsyth County Crime Prevention Unit, at (678) 513-5977 to get your business signed up!